Lecture and discussion with Tirza Balk (University of Colour, Redmond Amsterdam)
Deze sessie kan meertalig zijn. The event can be multilingual.
“La rage, car l’Occident n’a toujours pas ôté sa tenue de colons” –
“There exists a fiercely unrelenting desire to achieve total liberation, with the land and, together…” – Accomplices not Allies, An Indigenous perspective & provocation
The anarchist conspiracy typically opposes some major features of the modern/colonial world system: global capitalism, the persecution of migrants, imperialist warfare, the fossil fuel industry, “development”/destruction, police and prisons. Today in the Netherlands, anarchism is also typically White – in more than one way.
If anarchism in Europe is to fuel at all the total liberation it is calling for, it must not just kick blatant racism and fascism off the streets and out of parliaments, but also recognize and actively undermine the coloniality and White Supremacy that is at the very (cold) heart of “Western civilization and values”.
For starters, let’s have a talk about questions including but not limited to:
– the use and misuse of terms like decolonization and intersectionalitity
– the meaning of abolition
– the erasure but also the fetishization of African, Asian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, Caribbean and Indigenous anarchist or ‘anarchisty’ philosophy and action
– wasted access to resources from privilege
– the racism of the radical and academic Left
– the dogmatic rejection but also the violent appropriation of spirituality.
This afternoon is dedicated to fellow anarchists of color across space and time.